Rich & Creamy Coconut Cream Pie
Adapted from Chef Ron Lock
For the Coconut Crust:
1¼ cup all-purpose flour
8 T Melt® Organic, frozen
1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut, finely chopped
3 to 5 T. coconut rum, very cold (or use ice cold water)
For the Coconut Cream Pie:
1 box (5.1 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
1 can (15 oz.) cream of coconut
1/2 cup coconut milk (or cow’s milk)
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T. sugar
1 cup toasted coconut, for topping (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For the Crust:
- Scoop 8 individual tablespoons of Melt and place on small tray. Place tray in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, or until very cold.
- Place 1/3 cup shredded coconut in food processor. Pulse to finely chop.
- Add the flour and pulse again. Remove to a medium bowl.
- Cut in Melt one tablespoon at a time with a pastry cutter until resembles coarse corn meal.
- Add chilled coconut rum, or cold water, one tablespoon at a time mixing with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. It should be firm, not sticky.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll the dough out on a floured work surface, until about ¼ inch thick.
- Carefully transfer the crust to the pie pan.
- Place a large piece of foil over the pie crust and gently shape it over the dough. Fill the foil with ceramic pie weights, or dried beans. Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and weights. Then bake again for 5-10 minutes or just as it turns golden brown. Cool completely before filling.
For the Topping:
Spread the shredded coconut on a baking sheet. Toast for 2-4 minutes, until just golden while watching carefully. Remove and cool.
For the Filling:
- Place the instant pudding mix in a large glass jar or plastic air-tight container. Add the cream of coconut and milk. Cover tightly and shake for 1-2 minutes until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until it is just starting to form. Add vanilla and sugar and finish whipping the heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate.
- Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Slowly, beat in the pudding mixture. Add a little at a time and scrape the bowl regularly, to ensure there are no clumps.
- Fold in HALF the whipped cream, gently mix until smooth.
Scoop the filling into the cooled pie crust. Top with the remaining whipped cream and sprinkle generously with toasted coconut. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.