Slow Cooked Short Ribs (Gluten-Free)
This Slow Cooked Short Ribs recipe is one of my favorites. It’s the ultimate comfort food, especially served over traditional Indian basmati rice, and a wonderful dinner to come home to after a long day at work. Serves 5 to 6.
2 lbs short ribs
½ head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
½ to 1 lb of small carrots, peeled, with the bases cut off
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
2 to 3 tablespoons MELT® Organic
½ onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of high quality curry powder mix – the quality will affect the outcome
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 cup homemade bone broth
1-14 oz can of Glen Muir roasted chopped tomatoes
Cilantro, leaves removed from stems, to taste
- Turn Crock Pot on “high”.
- On your stovetop, preheat a skillet on medium with virgin coconut oil. When the oil is liquid (but not smoking) and the pan is hot, brown the short ribs.
- Add the browned short ribs to the crock pot with its juices.
- Turn the stovetop down to medium-low and sauté the onions in MELT until the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, salt, and pepper, and sauté lightly for a few minutes to activate the spices.
- Add the broth and tomatoes to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Pour and scrape all of the skillet contents over the short ribs in the Crock Pot.
- Add carrots and cauliflower to your Crock Pot, but only so they are resting on top and are NOT submerged in liquid.
- Cook on high in your Crock Pot for 6 to 8 hours. Add the cilantro leaves about 30 minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with cooked rice of your choice.